Technical Claims Handler
Salary £30- £45K+ doe
Our client is a modern, progressive and commercially-oriented solicitors firm in central Bristol providing advice to both UK and international clients.
The Claims Handling team adjusts claims made against professionals on behalf of leading insurers, acting under delegated authority levels for pre-litigated matters from first notification of loss to resolution. The claims are varied, arising out of every aspect of a professional’s practice, and as such they require a rigorous and accurate assessment of cover, liability and quantum. The team manages claims that fall outside of the delegated authority as an agent of the insurer, reviewing and managing panel appointment and reporting.
Working with the Head of Claims and other team members, you will be responsible for a technical caseload of varied professional indemnity claims, ensuring the delivery of a first class claims experience to policyholders and accurate reporting to Insurers.
You will be able to identify gaps in information and investigate notifications effectively protecting the insurer and the insured’s position. You will be delivering a service that ensures that the Insured and broker are advised and guided towards the appropriate outcome. Investigation and identification of strategy to resolve matters will be essential, taking into account the cost benefit analysis and commercial background. You will also have the opportunity to work collaboratively with other Claims Handlers and Managers in training and coaching other team members.
Day to day duties are likely to include:
- Running a full caseload of professional indemnity claims, having an accurate understanding of the delegated authority principles and reporting requirements on all matters falling outside of the delegated authority with minimal supervision, being able to make strategic decisions in Insurers’ best interests. Supporting the manager in respect of supervision, identification of training need and delivery to team members.
- Ensuring that quality assurance standards are achieved and procedures are adhered to.
- Providing excellent customer service at all times, contributing to being a market leading claims function.
- Building and maintaining effective working relationships with all customers and suppliers to ensure defined service levels are met and exceeded.
- Understanding the importance of Service Level Agreements and Key Performance Indicators of the team.
- Ensuring a consistent approach to client claims and implementing Insurers’ reserving policies, so that claims are dealt with fairly and costs are properly controlled, supported by the use of the most appropriate approved external suppliers.
- Investigation and identification of an Insured’s exposure to claims, identifying and obtaining information relevant to liability and quantum and providing guidance and assistance to the Insured in response to complaints and claims, including approving settlement offers.
- Negotiating settlement of claims within the delegated authority.
- Investigating and reporting to Insurers on policy cover and response.
- Actively managing panel solicitors as agent for Insurers, including reporting where claims fall outside the delegated authority.
- Responsible for maintaining and ensuring the completeness, accuracy, quality and integrity of data on the case management system.
Skills & Experience Required
• Law degree or working towards ACII, CILEx or equivalent legal qualification; alternatively significant experience in claims with technical knowledge and expertise.
• Comprehensive technical claims knowledge and experience.
• Strong communication skills, both orally and in writing
• Thorough understanding of relevant legislation and legal frameworks and the importance of compliance.
• Solicitor, ACII, CILEx or equivalent with experience in private practice. • A good working knowledge of law firm operations and pressures; understanding the need for efficient, timely, cost-effective support. • Demonstrable experience of relationship management (internal and external). • Previous experience of working with a case management system.