We have an exciting opportunity for a Paralegal with limited experience to join an international law firm in situated in Bristol near Temple Meads station.
My client is highly successful and employ 650 people based in London, Bristol, Singapore and Hong-Kong. It is a contemporary and forward thinking firm which takes staff development seriously and offers great career prospects.
Working from modern offices, diversity and inclusivity is encouraged along with regular staff social events and activities. Ontop of a highly competitive salary you are offered a fantastic choice from their benefits package which includes life assurance, income protection, group personal pension, childcare vouchers, season ticket loan, mortgage advice, private medical insurance, gym and holiday flex and more!
This team receives work from legal teams around the firm in its areas of expertise and where significant cost reductions can be made. Work from litigation and commercial teams includes claims handling, certain Professional Indemnity claims, document review, contact drafting and general matter support. The team is also responsible for the firm’s AML customer due diligence (CDD) procedures.
The desire is to build the team and proactively expand the scope of its work, responding to end-client requirements for efficiency and value, and serving the legal teams as internal clients. The capture and use of valuable MI is central to the team’s success, with data being used to shape direction and inform pricing.
This is a unique team which is not expected to conform to the existing law firm paradigm. Working with the Operations Manager and other team members, you will be responsible for building and shaping it for the future, embedding principles of lean and efficient working, and establishing the culture, values and behaviours that make it an attractive and viable alternative route to a career in law.
Day to day work duties are likely to include:
- Providing trainee-level support to those Bristol legal teams without trainees. Work may include general matter support, preparation of bundles and court documents, document management and review (e.g. disclosure & due diligence exercises, contract review), drafting witness statements, SDLT and Land Registry returns and legal & other research.
- Management of a caseload of professional indemnity claims handling matters within schemes managed by the team
- Managing certain Professional Indemnity Insurance matters under supervision of a Senior Associate
- Growing new work streams, such as contract review and document automation.
Paralegals are expected to contribute to the development of this new team by:
- Delivering high quality and timely output to internal and external clients, ensuring high levels of customer service and alignment with agreed working practices
- Working to develop an environment of constant improvement: enthusiastically sharing with and helping others; and taking responsibility for aspects of team development, such as intranet pages, training and induction, process improvement, technologies etc.
- Capturing and collating required MI in accordance with agreed practice – for performance management, client reporting, SLAs, pricing and other purposes
- Contributing to the development and improvement of the team’s service, support, processes and procedures
- Demonstrating the values and behaviours that build up the team and keep it client-focused
There will be opportunity for the right person to develop by taking on responsibilities such as: Maintenance and management of client extranets; Leading on case management software usage; Leading on key client relationships; Ownership and improvement of core team processes; Client and internal reporting; Quality control; etc.
Skills and experience required:
- Law degree or GDL
- A good working knowledge of law firm operations and pressures; understanding the need for efficient, timely, cost-effective support
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Confident, with strong written and verbal communication skills
- Commitment – willingness to turn a hand to whatever tasks are needed to meet the team’s aims
- Hardworking, enthusiastic and motivated
- Commercially aware, with an understanding of the concepts of efficiency
- Keen attention to detail
- Organised and efficient
- Ability to deal with difficult or demanding situations
- Previous paralegal experience
- Experience of online document review platform / deal room type software
- Experience of / exposure to project management / process improvement methods
- Particular interest in and aptitude for using and adapting technology to improve efficiency. E.g. case management workflow development; document builder software
In return for your skills and experinece a salary of c. £20,000 is offered plus a fantastic benefits package including a choice of gym membership, childcare vouchers, flexible holiday, health screening, insurance and sports activities.
Please apply promptly for this great opportunity!