It’s the start of a new year, which means many of us will be looking for ways to improve ourselves. Whether it’s shedding a few pounds or finding a new hobby, New Year’s is the time for making promises and resolutions that will hopefully last beyond January.
Did you know that it’s also one of the most popular times to look for a new job? According to a recent survey by CareerBuilder, more than a fifth (22%) of employees cited finding a new job as their number one resolution for 2017 – and this rises to 35% for workers aged 18-34.
There are several reasons why January can be a good time to look for new work opportunities. A lot of decision-makers are out of the office during the festive season, meaning that hiring decisions slow down during this period. Hiring managers return to work in January feeling refreshed and motivated; not only that, but many companies get their new yearly budgets in January, so they may be more confident in their hiring decisions.
So, landing a new job is the most popular work-related resolution; but what else are employees pledging to do this year? Here are the remaining top five from the CareerBuilder survey – take a look and see which ones you could put into action:
1. Save more money: Nearly half (49%) of the employees questioned plan to save more of their earnings this year.
2. Not be so stressed: Do you constantly feel stressed about work? Join the 38% of employees who are making it their mission to lower their stress levels in 2017.
3. Get a promotion or raise: It may not be the job itself that’s the problem, but the level you’re currently working at. A third of respondents would like to move up the career ladder at their company in the coming months.
4. Eat healthier: Always reaching in the office biscuit tin? Over a quarter (28%) of employees want to eat less junk food during working hours.
5. Learning something new: Make like 26% of the survey respondents and resolve to take a new course, seminar or training this year.
Some of these suggestions might be easier said than done, but we hope they will have inspired you to make real, actionable changes to your working life. And if you are still looking for that dream job, get in touch with our friendly team today to see how we can help. From all of us here at Lucy Bristow, here’s to a happy and prosperous 2017.
Image: Now by Kalyan Kanuri available under the CC BY-SA 2.0 license